- 6 strips thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1 can (28-ounce) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained (about 3 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (or more to taste)
In a heavy soup pot, fry the bacon until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat.
Add the olive oil to the pot and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking just until fragrant.
Add the diced tomatoes (pureed), chicken broth and thyme. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Add seasoning and continue simmering, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
Lastly, add crumbled bacon and heavy cream.